CHARLOTTETOWN, PE – On January 15th it was announced by Hockey PEI that the initial stages of planning had begun for the provincial Championships. This memo serves as a point of clarification around the Host Application Form for both the round-robin weekend, as well as the championship weekend. As we march towards the possible conclusion of the season, Hockey PEI remains fully committed to giving our members an experience to remember to close what has been a very challenging 2020-2021 season.
Through the ever-changing landscape of the COVID-19 pandemic, some modifications have been made to this season’s grant application as well as the hosting requirements. These modifications will revert to normalcy for the 2021-2022 season if government guidelines permit.
Below is a list of new expectations for the 2021 Provincials:
- Grants have been increased to represent an extra 15 mins of ice time per game. This was done with the intention of having the maximum number of spectators in attendance under CPHO guidelines.
- Facilities must be able to accommodate at least 2 spectator cohorts.
- Host grants for both weekends reflect that preference will be given to those locations that can live stream their games. Facebook is an acceptable platform.
- Round Robin Weekend application: Preference in selecting host locations will be given to those who apply for 2 events. Examples of leagues to be combined are U18 AA and U15 AA male, U13 A and U13 AAA Female, and U13 AA and U13 AAA male. This adjustment was done to allow host communities to make their weekend viable due to the adjustment of games played, and to allow the availability of officials.
- Championship Weekend application: Preference will be given to those who can host multiple divisions within the same age category. This was also done to make this weekend viable for host locales. Preference will also be given to anyone who can host all-female divisions in one location.
The application deadline to submit the Host Applications back to Hockey PEI is January 31st, 2021. Host locations will be notified by February 12th, 2021. Hockey PEI will also continue to work closely with CPHO and will incorporate any new restrictions in place during the Provincial Championship Weekends.
2020-21 PROVINCIAL CHAMPIONSHIPS APPLICATION DOCUMENTS:
Applications are to be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
– 30 –
Hockey PEI is the governing body for organized hockey in Prince Edward Island. Hockey PEI’s main purpose is to foster, promote, develop, supervise, regulate, and govern the sport of amateur hockey throughout Prince Edward Island. For more on Hockey PEI and its programs visit www.hockeypei.com or follow through social media on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. For further information, please contact:
Manager, Hockey Operations & Communications