by Hockey PEI Communications // @HockeyPEI // Wednesday, July 6th, 2022
CHARLOTTETOWN, PE – Last month, Hockey Canada announced Islanders its Player Rosters and Team Staffs who will make up its various National Team Rosters for Development and Selection Camps this July in Calgary. Included on those rosters were four Island natives excited to be selected for the opportunity.
Devan Praught (Summerside, PE / Swift Current Broncos, WHL) is heading to Calgary on July 10th to take part in the Under-17 National Development Camp while Luke Coughlin (Charlottetown, PE / Rimouski Oceanic, QMJHL), Dr. Ben Cameron (Summerside, PE / Hockey Canada) and Andrew MacNeill (Stratford, PE / Charlottetown Islanders, QMJHL) are all set to arrive in Calgary on July 31st for the National Men’s Summer Under-18 Team Selection Camp.
Additionally, Hockey Canada has now released its list of Officials selected to take part in National Summer Camps and events. Summerside’s Tanner Doiron was amongst those listed, making him the fifth Islander who will head to Calgary this month. Doiron, 22, will participate in the National Officials Program Of Excellence Camp where he will participate as a Referee for the National Under-17 Development Camp games in Calgary from July 11th to 16th.
We are excited to have Tanner representing our program out west next week said Hockey PEI Manager of Officiating, Steven Green. This is just another example of our high performance officials making a commitment to their development even in the off-season. We want to wish him the best of luck and look forward to continuing to support his growth as an official.
Doiron is coming off his first season as a Referee in the QMJHL where prior to his promotion, served as a linesperson for three seasons. He would also earn the opportunity to officiate the Maritime Junior A Hockey League finals this past season. This will be Doiron’s first Hockey Canada event since the COVID-19 pandemic. His officiating resume includes:
- 2015 Atlantic Challenge Cup (Moncton, NB) – Linesperson
- 2016 Atlantic Challenge Cup (Moncton, NB) – Referee
- 2016 Peewee AAA Atlantic Championships (Charlottetown, PEI) – Referee
- 2017 Bantam AAA Atlantic Championships (Cornwall, PEI) – Referee
- 2017 World Sledge Hockey Challenge (Charlottetown, PEI) – Linesperson
- 2018 QMJHL Combine (Blainville-Boisbriand, QC) – Referee
- 2018 Bantam AAA Female Atlantic Championships (Charlottetown, PEI) – Referee
- 2018 Hockey Canada Officials Regional Program of Excellence (East Hants, NS) – Referee
- 2018 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge (Saint John, NB) – Linesman
- 2019 Canadian Hockey League / NHL Prospects Camp (Toronto, ON) – Linesperson
- 2019 Canada/Russia Series (Moncton, NB) – Linesperson
- 2019 Major Midget Atlantic Championship (Charlottetown, PEI) – Referee
- 2020 U SPORTS Men’s Hockey Championship (Halifax, NS) – Linesperson
A total of 44 officials from coast to coast were selected for the HlinkaGretzkyCup, a pair of Canada/USA series, and men’s and women’s camps.
“The uncertainty of the COVID-19 pandemic meant we could offer very little in the way of development for our elite officials over the last two years,” said Dan Hanoomansingh, Manager of Officiating for Hockey Canada. “Our officials have been working hard to continue their progress, but our Officiating Program of Excellence events are crucial for helping them take that next step. We are thrilled to have a full slate of summer events, including our inaugural summer camp for the women’s stream of the OPOE, presented by Hockey is Hers and the Hockey Canada Foundation.”
For more information on Hockey Canada, its officiating program, Canada’s National under-17 program OR Canada’s National Men’s Summer Under-18 Team or please visit www.hockeycanada.ca, or follow along through social media on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
For more information on Hockey PEI and its Officiating Program, please visit www.hockeypei.com
– 30 –