Members joined together at the 41th Annual General Meeting of Hockey PEI which took place on June 27th at the Rodd Royalty Inn in Charlottetown. The annual meeting included council and committee reports, award presentations and elections to the board of directors.
There was several reports presented and topics discussed with the membership including the continuation of the Respect in Sport Parent program, updates on new and ongoing development programs and the recognition of all the provincial championship winners. Coming from the meeting were updates on new directives for the future including a concentrated focus on the Initiation Program model, establishment of a marketing campaign and a continued focus on female hockey for the future.
Hockey PEI also provided an update and confirmation that the branch will be hosting the Atlantic Bantam AAA Male Championships in April 2017. Selected host sites will be confirmed in the coming months. It was also confirmed that Hockey PEI and the City of Charlottetown will host the 2016 World Sledge Hockey Challenge in December in partnership with Hockey Canada.
Elected to represent the board of directors for the 2016-2017 season included:
- President – Barry Thompson
- Executive Vice President – Mike Hammill
- Vice President Finance – Tyson Bradley
- Chair Minor Hockey Council – Al MacIssac
- Chair Junior Hockey Council – Cliff Affleck
- Chair Senior Hockey Council – Ron Hennessey
- Chair Hockey Development Council – Jeremy Pierce
- Chair Hockey Officials Council – Troy Howatt
- Interim Past President – Gene Power
In conjunction with the Annual General Meeting, several awards were presented at the annual awards ceremony. Hockey PEI honored participants and volunteers who have devoted themselves to the betterment of the game.
“It is important each year that we recognize and honor our members in their pursuit of excellence and volunteerism. The great game of hockey could not exist without the commitment and tireless efforts of our great volunteers”, stated Hockey PEI President Barry Thompson.
This year’s awards ceremony also saw the adoption of the Gordie Whitlock Development Award. The award was named to honor Whitlock for his long standing service to Hockey on PEI specifically around the development of the game. Whitlock was inducted as a Life Member of Hockey PEI in 2015.
Hockey PEI was honored to present awards in the following categories.
- President’s Award – Jimmy Dunn (Fort Augustus)
- Jim Stirling Scholarship – BF Lorenzetti – Sarah Woodside (O’Leary)
- Hockey PEI Scholastic Award – Daniel Whalen (Vernon River)
- Gordie Whitlock Development Award – George Halliwell (Charlottetown)
- Female Player of the Year – Maria Clinton (Souris)
- Male Player of the Year – Bennett MacArthur (Summerside)
- Coach of the Year – Jeff Hackett (Tignish)
- Volunteer of the Year – Jason Rayner (Cascumpec)
- Administrator of the Year – Pierre Goyette (Charlottetown)
- Aaron Coffin Official of the Year – Steve Dyer (Summerside)
- Team of the Year – Southside Bantam A Female Wildcats
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Ph: (902) 368-4334