Members joined together at the 43rd Annual General Meeting of Hockey PEI which took place on June 26th at the Rodd Royalty Inn in Charlottetown. The annual meeting included council and committee reports, award presentations and elections to the board of directors.
There was several reports presented and topics discussed with the membership including updates on new development programs, 2019 Canada games update, direction of Hockey PEI marketing campaigns, recognition of all the provincial championship winners and registration reports.
Coming from the meeting were updates on new directives for the future including an update on the Novice Half-Ice program for next season, enhanced focus on the Initiation Program model, the adoption of new officiating structure and a continued focus on female hockey for the future.
Hockey PEI also confirmed that the branch will be hosting the 2018 Atlantic Major Midget Championships and the 2018 Atlantic Junior B Championships – the Don Johnson Cup. Selected host sites will be confirmed in the coming months.
The annual meeting brought to conclusion the three year term for Barry Thompson as President of Hockey PEI. Mike Hammill of Nine Mile Creek was elected as President for the 2018-19 season.
Elected to represent the board of directors for the 2018-2019 season included:
- President – Mike Hammill
- Executive Vice President – Al MacIsaac
- Vice President Finance – Tyson Bradley
- Chair Minor Hockey Council – Robert MacMillan
- Chair Junior Hockey Council – Cliff Affleck
- Chair Senior Hockey Council – Ron Hennessey
- Chair Hockey Development Council – Jeremy Pierce
- Manager Officiating Committee – Paul Matte
- Director of Female Hockey – Jen MacDonald
- Past President – Barry Thompson
In conjunction with the Annual General Meeting, several awards were presented at the annual awards ceremony. Hockey PEI honored participants and volunteers who have devoted themselves to the betterment of the game.
“It is important each year that we recognize and honor our members in their pursuit of excellence and volunteerism. The great game of hockey could not exist without the commitment and tireless efforts of our great volunteers”, stated Hockey PEI President Mike Hammill.
Hockey PEI was honored to present awards in the following categories.
- President’s Award – Tami Lewis
- Jim Stirling Scholarship – BF Lorenzetti – Madeline Hamill (Albany)
- Hockey PEI Scholastic Award – Aydan Kinch (Tignish)
- Gordie Whitlock Development Award – Susie Myers (Montague Minor Hockey)
- Female Player of the Year – Lexie Murphy (Mid Isle Wildcats Midget AAA)
- Male Player of the Year – TJ Shea (Summerside Capitals Jr. A)
- Volunteer of the Year – Christine Mill (Kensington Minor Hockey)
- Administrator of the Year – Steve Watts (Crapaud)
- Coach of the Year – Jamie MacIntyre (Mid Isle Matrix Midget AAA)
- Aaron Coffin Official of the Year – Ryan Reid (Charlottetown)
- Team of the Year – Sherwood Metros Junior C
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Ph: (902) 368-4334