Front row (L-R): Maizie Brown, Blake Pierce, Cooper Richards and Max Keough Back row (L-R): Jeremy Pierce (Hockey PEI Development Council), Barry Thompson (Hockey PEI President) and Jeff Keough (IP coach – Pownal Minor Hockey)

Minor Hockey Associations Receive Rink Divider Equipment

Hockey PEI, along with Hockey Canada and many Branches across the country, have refocused their development programming specifically around Initiation and Novice level hockey.  To support Initiation level programming across the province, Hockey PEI introduced the Rink Divider Grant Program for associations to participate in.

Initiation Program guidelines are based on Hockey Canada’s Long Term Player Development (LTPD) model that emphasizes doing what is right for the player at the appropriate human developmental stage – players who are six years old and younger should be having fun, learning skills and developing physical literacy in a safe environment.

Hockey PEI developed this grant program to allow associations to purchase rink dividers for their associations for the upcoming 2016-17 season.  Some goals of the Initiation Program are:

  • Focus on the ‘fun’ aspect of playing to help children nourish their interest in the sport
  • Create a safe and positive setting for players to experience the sport
  • Create activities that will enable the child to succeed

“Our continued priority is about the development of players at the IP and Novice level,” stated Hockey PEI Chair of Development Jeremy Pierce.  “It is vital that we provide a fun and safe environment to kids as they first enter the game and help foster the development of those basic skills that carry you through to the next level”.

Hockey PEI funded 75% of the purchase with minor hockey associations making an investment to cover the remaining 25% of the cost.  Hockey PEI delivered the dividers to arenas across the province early October.  The uptake on the program saw 18 of 20 minor hockey associations take advantage of the rink divider grant opportunity.

“We recognize that the kids that join the game at the introductory level are entering the game at a vital stage and skills development is paramount” stated Hockey PEI President Barry Thompson.  “It was an easy decision for Hockey PEI to make this financial investment in the future of our game and we look forward to the associations benefiting from this program for years”.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Hockey PEI
Ph: (902) 368-4334
Email: info@hockeypei.com