This model for hockey has been developed based on the following principles:
• doing the right thing for the player at the right stage in their development
• adopting a player-centered approach and not treating the development of all players the same way
• the broader the foundation of players the more successful the game of hockey will be in Canada
• viewing player development as a long term process
• aligning player development resources (skills manuals, DVDs) with coach development and education resources so that coaches are doing the right things at the right time
• a need to better educate parents on the hockey development of their child – it is okay for parents to want their kids to get to the highest levels but they need to know the best way to go about it
Parents, coaches and administrators are encouraged to utilize this document to work at the local minor hockey association level to develop the best program possible for the players involved.